Thursday 17 May 2007

Text conversations hot off the phone

So it's all becoming clear now. Texts have been flying through the air...

Him: I feel a lot happier today. I've been miserable as sin since Friday. Am not going to think about work any more as is boring.

Me: Yeah you have been a bit off but am glad you're feeling better.

Him: Yeah I know, I tend to shut down when I'm like that. The whole ********** thing at work left a bit of a foul taste in my mouth and made me think about myself, a bit of self-loathing really I guess. Anyway, enough about work I think I've done that to death over the last few days.

Me: You've been so far away. Especially when I was going through the same shit just not on the same scale as yours. But I really am pleased you are feeling better (and not just for selfish reasons)

Him: I'm sorry. Another trait is that I distance myself from other people's problems if I'm going through stuff myself. I'm not really selling myself here am I? On the other hand, I'm quite nice when everything is okay.

I have not replied to the last text as I don't really know what to say any more.

Part of me is really happy that he's sharing stuff with me. But the other part thinks we may be straying into couple territory here.

I spoke to my friend about it, and she too feels it's good that he's explained all these things to me. But it is a dilemma because I want to be sympathetic, without coming across as too full on.

This all just seems far too complicated and deep and it also feels too soon to be playing this role...

I don't know what or how he wants me to be and I cant keep switching from lover mode to girlfriend mode to friend mode... everything is so blurry and undefined at the moment.

But I like him so much and the fact that he's talking to me about the way he feels makes me think he likes me too.

Oh dear god.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you ever seen that episode of Sex in the City, where Samantha, Charlotte and Miranda are asking Carrie what is going on with her and Mr Big. The whole episode is about defining a relationship. Cant remember the details at the mo, but i know she comes to the conclusion that relationships dont need defining, and to define them does more damage than leaving them to their own devices.

Unknown said...

Have you ever seen that episode of Sex in the City, where Samantha, Charlotte and Miranda try to get Carrie to define her relationship with Mr Big? Cant remember the details of the episode at the mo, but i know when she does her "final thought" bit at the end, she concludes by saying that relationships dont need defining and that by giving them a definton does them more damage than just letting them carry on and just happen.

The Other Woman said...

No I haven't but it makes sense.